Scientific research on coconut oil has revealed health benefits that affect your entire body, inside and out.
You’ve heard good things about it and now you have a tub of it sitting in your pantry. So how do you use coconut oil?
Uses for Coconut Oil
This post lists 50 different ways to use coconut oil and it also links out to a bunch of DIY coconut oil recipes to help you try the different uses and experience all of the amazing coconut oil benefits. I hope you find it valuable.
Cooking and Eating
1. Cooking at High Heat – Some oils are unsafe to cook with at high temperatures, coconut oil is a great alternative. Check out our Guide to Cooking Oils to find healthy cooking oils for whatever meal you are creating.
2. On Toast Instead of Butter – Simply use coconut oil instead of butter on your toast.
3. Eat it by the Spoonful – Coconut oil is that delicious and healthful. Enjoy one spoonful each morning.
4. Smoothies – Add one tablespoon of coconut oil into your favorite smoothie recipe and increase your energy with the oil’s MCTs. Check out this post for the Top Smoothie Ingredients.
5. Fry Eggs – Lightly coat the bottom of your skillet with coconut oil to create a non-stick surface and delicious eggs.
6. Popping Popcorn – A sweet twist on a classic snack! To make stovetop popcorn, you need a heavy-bottomed pan. First, add the coconut oil and popcorn to the pot. Coat the area of the pot with the oil, and use just enough popcorn to make a single layer over the bottom of the pot. Give the pot a little shake to make sure all of the kernels are coated with oil. Next, place the pot over medium heat. Put the lid on the pot, leaving it slightly open so that steam can escape. It should take about five minutes for the popcorn to pop completely.
7. Popcorn Topping – Instead of butter, melt a little coconut oil and pour it over your popped popcorn. Then sprinkle lightly with Himalayan crystal salt.
8. Oven Baked Sweet Potato Chips – Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice sweet potatoes to about 1/8” thick. Place slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly with coconut oil. Bake for about 15 minutes or until chips are lightly brown. Add salt to taste, and serve with salsa or dip. (Or just eat them plain – either way they’re delicious!)
9. Replace Vegetable Oil for Baking – Next time you make your favorite brownie recipe, replace the vegetable oil with coconut oil. Your friends will be begging you for the recipe.
10. Pan Frying – Next time you fry up a batch of sweet potato fries or a piece of chicken, use coconut oil. The taste is great and the coconut oil’s health benefits are even better.
11. Grilled Cheese with Coconut Oil – No need for butter the next time you are making a grilled cheese sandwich.
12. Coconut Oil Coffee – Adding a spoonful to your coffee is a delicious way to start your day with a huge energy boost! Here is a great recipe for coconut oil coffee. Want a simple way to make coconut oil coffee quick? Try buying some coconut oil coffee creamer.
13. Homemade Granola – Check out this delicious recipe for coconut granola.
14. A Spoonful in Tea – Allow some coconut oil to melt and mildly flavor your next cup of tea.
15. Salad Dressings – A simple recipe for a salad dressing with coconut oil can be found here.
Coconut Oil Skin Care and Beauty
16. Cheekbone Highlighter – Apply a small amount on cheekbones over makeup.
17. Shaving Lotion – Close shave and a moisturizer at the same time.
18. Facial Scrub – Combine coconut oil with Himalayan crystal salt and apply to face each night. Washing it off is optional.
19. Body Scrub – Combine coconut oil and sugar. Check out this DIY Sugar Scrub recipe.
20. Makeup Remover – Apply coconut oil to your face with clean hands to remove makeup. Use a cotton round or clean cloth to remove any excess.
21. Homemade Deodorant – You only need a few ingredients in addition to coconut oil to make this simple deodorant recipe.
22. Homemade Lip Balm or Lip Gloss – Apply directly or create a flavored version with this simple lip balm recipe.
23. Baby Care – Apply regularly to the baby’s bottom to improve skin health.
24. Sexual Lubricant – Our Facebook fans swear by this one 🙂
25. Moisturizer During Pregnancy – Moms-to-be love coconut oil to help moisturize a growing belly.
26. Nipple Cream During Breastfeeding – Coconut oil is a popular choice for nursing mothers because it is a natural safe product.
27. Massage Oil – Coconut oil is the perfect choice for a massage oil. Not too greasy and with a relaxing scent.
28. Body Moisturizer – Apply directly after showering.
29. After-Sun Care – A great moisturizer to use after you’ve gotten a bit too much sun.
30. Facial Moisturizer – After you wash your face, massage a light layer on your skin.
31. Mix in Bath Water – Melt about 1/4 cup and add it to your bath water and soak.
32. Tanning Oil – Put in a spray bottle and bring to beach. Spray on to keep skin moisturized.
33. Dry Feet Treatment – Mix with salt to form a foot scrub.
34. Elbow Rub – Helps manage the dry skin on your elbows.
Sorry, comments are closed for this item.